With a length of 483 km, the Dordogne river rises in the Puy-de-Dôme on the hillside of the Puy de Sancy. Along with the river Garonne it flows into a common estuary, the Gironde, at Le Bec d’Ambès in the département (county) of the Gironde
Located in the heart of the Périgord Noir area, the Dordogne valley is a genuine wonderland, boasting high quality heritage sites, ringed with villages and dotted with châteaux. Visitors can discover nature at its best here.
The Dordogne is listed by UNESCO as a World Biosphere Reserve.
Enjoy a great holiday in the Périgord Noir! Périgord Aventure et Loisirs guarantees you a relaxing day close to nature. A unique and special day to explore the Dordogne by canoe.
Come along and admire some of the marvellous attractions history has bequeathed us in the form of outstanding heritage sites, perfect for discovering either alone, as a family, in a group or among friends for a half day, full day or weekend!
The riverbanks are simply perfect for picnicking and bathing.
As you head down the river, you can stop off and visit the area’s charming villages and chateaux, keeping to the schedule agreed at the time of departure.
Travelling along the river, you can admire the following sights from the water’s edge:
Setting off from Carsac, at the bend, you’ll find the Château de Monfort overhanging its rocky base.
After Vitrac, the village of Domme overlooks the surrounding area and you will then pass alongside the cliffs of Les Pendoilles,
The village of La Roque Gageac, officially listed as one of the finest villages in France,
The Château de la Malartrie,
The Marqueyssac Gardens overlooking the valley,
The Château de Castelnaud, famous for its museum of mediaeval warfare,
The Château de Fayrac,
and finally the Château de Beynac and its village.
For lovers of fine food, the region is a gastronomic paradise with its foie gras, duck confit, truffles, ceps, walnuts and chestnuts…
Rental service information:
05 53 28 23 82 or 06 83 27 30 06
The canoeing centre is open from Easter to All Saints’ Day (according to the water levels in the river).
From June to late August: 9:30 AM to 7 PM-
April, May, September, October: 10 AM to 5:30 PM.
– Participants must know how to swim.
– Life jackets must be worn.
– Enclosed shoes must be worn.
– Children under the age of 12 must be supervised or accompanied.
– Children under 5 are not allowed*.
– Unaccompanied minors must be in possession of an authorisation from their parents or from the person responsible for them.
– The river is listed as Class I, (suitable for all)
– Be sure to respect the river, the environment and the local fishermen.
– Dogs are allowed as long as they are on their leads and are not attached to the boat.
– Do not dispose of rubbish in the water or on the river banks.
– Take care to avoid the harmful effects of the sun! Bring along some sun cream and a bottle of water. Attach your glasses. Ensure that children are well protected.
– Do not grab branches or you run the risk of capsizing. Stay in the middle of the river.
Canoë Kayak sur la Dordogne
Périgord Aventure et Loisirs : venez faire une randonnée canoë en Dordogne et faites la découverte du canoë kayak dans notre magnifique région. Nous vous proposons un canoë ou un kayak à louer dans le Périgord.